Monday, April 25, 2011

Got Chickens?

What came first the chicken or the egg? Well I am certainly going to find out on my new adventure on raising chickens. This truly is a first for me. Here is the great coup my husband built.

We made a trip to D & B to get our new chicks and make them their temporary home. Keegan was so excited.


Being careful helping the chicks into their home. We had to be careful making sure Keegan didn't hold them to tight or drop them in.


How cute!!


We got 5 baby chicks to start out with. They are straightruns, which basically means they aren't sexed. We plan on only keeping one rooster, so if it turns out to be more guess we will have a few good meals in out future. When I asked Keegan what their names where he replies, "one, two, three, four and five." Perfect, obviously not in any particular order either!!!!


Grandma was here for it all.


After close to 3 weeks it was time to move them outside. Here is the inside of their coup and fenced in quarters.


Getting them ready for the big move.





Keegan loves it!! He couldn't be more involved in helping me clean up after them and make sure they have the food and water they need.


The chickens checking out their new surrounding. I can't believe how they change so quickly.


No fatalities as of yet. I must be doing something right!!! I see eggs in our future!! Well and of course some chicken...

No comments: